1 bunch of spring onions
2-3 fresh red chillies
8 cloves of garlic
5cm piece of fresh ginger
Biona Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 tablespoons black peppercorns
1 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
4 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons Biona Organic Coconut Sugar
750g Biona Organic Ambient Tofu
1/2 a bunch of fresh coriander
2 tablespoons Biona Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- Peel and finely slice the shallots. Trim and finely slice the spring onions and chillies, then peel and finely slice the garlic. Peel and finely grate the ginger.
- Heat a few drizzles of oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the shallots, spring onions, chilli, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often, over a low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until soft.
- For the marinade, crush both kinds of peppercorns in a pestle and mortar with the coriander seeds and sea salt flakes. Add to the pan with the soy sauce and sugar. Reduce until thick and glossy, then transfer to a small baking tray.
- Cut the tofu into 2cm pieces, then thread onto 4 skewers. Place in the tray with the marinade, spoon over to coat and leave in the fridge to marinate for a few hours.
- When you are ready, barbecue the skewers until crisp, basting with the marinade and turning regularly.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave the cucumber into ribbons and place in a bowl. Pick, finely chop and add the coriander, followed by the rice wine vinegar and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Toss to mix and serve with the crispy salt and pepper tofu skewers.